Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Meet my friend, Lynne...




THE LULU CHRONICLES

Hey, Gang,
Remember when I told you that two other ladies and I had become accountability partners when it comes to getting healthy? Well, you’re in for a treat because I’ve asked both of them to guest blog for me. Today’s is from my friend, Lynne. She’s been a great inspiration and encourager to me. Oh, by the way, Lynne was brave enough to send us her before and after pictures. Enjoy…


BEFORE
AFTER
My name is Lynne.  My bicycle doesn’t have a name.  Actually, the bike in the photo of me was borrowed during a Phoenix vacation last January.  In the 36 weeks since that picture was taken I have learned a lot about myself, my God, and lost 62 pounds.
I’ve wrestled with my weight since I was about 30 years old (complacency and babies).  Food, cooking, entertaining and nurturing – that’s a huge part of who I am.  I have been successful with four “big” diets in the past 35 years, but totally unsuccessful in keeping the weight off.
For three years I was quite ill with digestive issues (6 surgeries in 18 months) and beginning one year ago, I was released by my doctor and spent October thru December staring out the window watching the cardinals eat (and eating), praying, and trying to figure out how to get my life back on track.  As I was packing for three weeks in Arizona I realized that none of my clothes fit and refused to purchase a larger size.  I shed 10 pounds in the three weeks before we left for vacation, which inspired me to have a spa vacation in the sunshine.  First step, can I still ride a bike?  Yes, six miles the first day, then eight, and ten miles every day after that.  How warm is the pool?  Perfect.  One hour of water aerobics every day.  With my husband’s usual support we cooked most of our meals, and I was able to stick to 1200 calories a day with only two days off for incredible meals out.
With the support of my friends, Deb and Adrienne, I continued my program.  Upped the calorie level to 1300 (an inexact science) and worked off 400 calories a day.  Our daily e-mails served as a journal.  My body rewarded me with a pretty consistent two-pound weekly loss.  Now that I am within eight pounds of my goal the losses have slowed down (partially because I’m overconfident and getting a little reckless with my snacks).
Several things are at work here.  I have the support of my friends and family.  I don’t have children to cook for or the necessity of snacks or “illegal” foods in the house.  I am mostly retired and am able to plan my activities and take the necessary time to plan and prepare my meals and exercise.  I have the knowledge and economic means to prepare the proper foods and purchase a pool membership and a rec center membership now that the weather is moving me indoors.  This project has pretty much been a full time job.
The difference this time, though, is my ability to finally turn this weakness over to God… but not totally.  I have been known to pray with my hand on the refrigerator door and still let Satan win.  No guilt, but regret that I have not listened to God’s whispering.  For the first time in my life, I can “fall” or take a planned meal or day off and get right back on my program the next day.  My strength definitely comes from the Lord.
Eight pounds more and my God and I still have a long partnership ahead of us, keeping this weight off, along with all the other stuff that comes my way each day. 

No comments: