Monday, June 16, 2014

Unseen...

THE LuLu Chronicles

Hey Y'all!

     Sunday I started my journey toward Guatemala. First stop, San Antonio. It just so happens that a little basketball game was going on there Sunday night. Go Spurs!  I must have a sixth sense about being at the right place at the right time during big happenings. This past spring I was in Memphis when Prince William and Prince Harry stopped in town for a wedding. Go Wills! I am hoping, though, that when we land in Guatemala on Thursday that one of the volcanoes we're going to be surrounded by doesn't decide to erupt. That's a happening I don't want to experience.

    During the flight to San Antonio I was looking out my tiny portal of a window at the beauty of the sky,  I kept foolishly hoping I'd see Gary hanging out in the clouds waiting for me. I didn't see him of course. But does that mean he wasn't there? During these last eight months I've been thinking about my faith a lot and pondering what it is I truly believe.  It has dawned on me that my entire spiritual life has been built around an unseen world. I truly believe that if you could make a slit in the space in front of you and pull it apart like a curtain you'd see the room as it truly is-- cluttered with angels hovering around a living God and a risen Savior.

      I believe in the Holy Spirit even though He is the orginal Invisible Man. He lives in and around me. He nudges, prods, and messes with my conscience. But I've yet to actually see Him.

     I believe in heaven, but I've never been there. I believe in hell also, but I've never been there either.

     I believe that in the beginning God made the heavens and the earth, but I didn't actually see Him do it.

     I believe in the the Virgin, the shepherds and the wise guys. But I never met them.

     And I believe that Gary still lives and is clothed in heavenly dwelling, even though I don't get the priviledge of seeing him wearing it, at least not yet.

     After eight months of wrestling with all this stuff I can't see, I've decided to do something. I've decided to follow the leader, and yep, you guessed it, I can't actually see the Leader, but I'm going to do my best to follow Him anyway. Hence, this trip to Guatemala to teach puppets and love up on orphans. Gary died. I didn't know what to do. Now I'm about to jump on an airplane to Guatemala with people I barely know to serve people I don't know at all. Yes, faith is totally about not seeing it coming.


"So, we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal... We live by faith, not by sight..." II Corinthians 4:18; 5:7

No comments: