Monday, May 9, 2011

Hob-knobbing with a Celebrity


LuLu-ism # 11: Bugs are protein. Protein is good for you. Therefore, bugs are good for you.


Happy late Mother’s Day to you all. Mine was full of family and friends- a lovely way to start a week. I’d planned on a bike ride, but the day just got too full and it came down to a nap or LuLu. I won’t tell you which I chose, but it didn’t involve a bike seat.

But, this morning I was back at it. Up bright and early and out on the road. It was in the 50s and windy. Riding along against the wind I experienced a milestone when I got my first bug in the mouth. I’d forgotten about bugs. After a harsh winter you’d think they’d all be wiped off the face of the earth. But, no, they’re hardy little buggers.

To keep my mind off the fact that my hair was being blown all to one side of my head and that the Fake Knee and its pedal were having a scrimmage over who would rule, I sang. Which wasn’t a hard thing to do since I’ve had this one tune in my head since church yesterday. The words went something like, “Jesus redeemer and friend…” As I’m half humming, half singing this song, it hits me how simple yet powerful the lyrics are. Jesus, the Son of God, the Creator of all, the Savior of the world, the King of kings, is my actually my friend. You see, in my fantasies I’m being interviewed by Oprah about my latest book. I’m hob-knobbing with Mitford series author Jan Karon and Harry Potter’s J.K. Rowling, and bantering book ideas with Stephen King. Although I could never read a King novel and ever hope to sleep again, I’d love to have lunch with him. These are cool, important people to me who I’d love to meet. However, they don’t know me from Adam as they say. Yet, there is One who is greater than all who does know me, seeks me out, and rejoices when I acknowledge him.

Jesus, my redeemer and friend.

I sang/hummed that song the whole six miles. When I put LuLu away, the Faked Knee ached and the Cowgirl wasn’t all that happy. Yet, my soul was full of Light.

Lesson learned: I best start keeping my mouth closed while riding, and a bike ride with a Friend who also just happens to be the Son of God can go a long way.

Blessings,

deb

No comments: