Thursday, April 12, 2012

Don't let them see you grunt


THE LULU CHRONICLES


LuLu-ism #51: Whatever you do, do not keep comparing yourself to someone who has maids, gardeners, personal chefs, nannies, drivers, advisers, and a bazillion dollars to spend on a tan and dentistry. You'll lose every time. Although I have to admit, Ms. Loren does have good bones.


Years ago, the actress, Sophia Loren, was interviewed when she turned sixty. The reporter asked her what her secret was to staying so young looking and beautiful. She passed on some sage advice her own mother had given her. “Whenever you get up from a chair or the couch, no matter how much you want to, don’t grimace or grunt.” Those weren’t her exact words, but you get her drift.

Now that I’m on the tail-end of my sixtieth year, I understand more clearly how wise Ms. Loren’s advice was. Some days it is all I can do to not walk like cement has set up in my veins. You know that walk, it’s a waddle really that gives away my fallen arches, my aching back and my Fake Knee. And forget getting up from a chair like a dancer; throw me a rope will ya!

But, as most of you know by now, I’m trying to rectify all of that. I’m on a health-kick. At the very least, this last year has been about retraining myself to laugh without peeing my pants, and to lose enough weight so I can stoop without all kinds of embarrassing things happening.

Yes, it’s almost been a whole year, since LuLu, the pink bike, came into my life and enticed me to try pedaling my way back to better health. Next week, I turn sixty-one. I’ll give you an update then of how it’s going.

Until then, what do you think? Could this be the year you decide is the time to cleanse the temple, so to speak? Spruce up the arteries? Tone up the muscles? Give the heart a new lease on life? Or, you’re getting older, so exactly when are you going to write that novel? Learn to paint? Ride an elephant? Or whatever you’ve been telling yourself that someday you’re going to do?

There’s nothing like the present to get started on fulfilling a dream.

We’ll, talk next week.

deb

No comments: