Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Song





THE LULU CHRONICLES

Have you ever awaken with a tune in your head that just won’t go away? You find yourself humming it, singing it, and la-la-ing it at odd moments. Well, yesterday on my sixty- first birthday as I greeted the day, a melody started playing in my head and floating around me as if I had just opened the lid of a music box. So I embraced it and made it my theme for the day. And what a great day it was.

The first day of my sixty-first year started at Starbucks. A friend invited me for tea to reconnect and to talk about writing…one of my favorite topics. Next, I went shopping with my birthday money. Yes, even at sixty-one you can still get birthday money from your mom. Humming my song around in the store, I found this great little round rug with golds and blues and purples on it that simply called to me. It’s going next to my bed and will give me happy feet every morning. Then, I took myself to lunch at my favorite sub-shop. The veggie sub at Jimmy Johns makes me hum and groan while eating it, literally. Good thing I ate it in my car out of earshot of the general public. Next, back home it was time for a bike ride. While the sun finally made an appearance, the wind had not subsided one iota. At one point, I had to get off and push LuLu down the road; but no matter, we were girls on a mission, nothing was going to stop us from our birthday ride.

As we turned south onto Old Country Club Road I was able to hop back on my pink bike and continue on. Oh, friends! I couldn’t help myself; I started singing… out loud, sometimes with my eyes closed, sometimes with my hand waving in the breeze as if conducting a huge choir. The tune, the song, the words bubbled over and became a prayer, a declaration, a hand-shake of conviction as I gave myself, this day and the rest of my days, over to The Song...


Jesus keep me near the cross; There a precious fountain,

Free to all, a healing stream, flows from Calvry’s mountain.

In the cross, in the cross, be my glory ever,

Till my raptured soul shall find rest beyond the river.

Yes, my soul!