Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Why bother?


Photo: Solomon's Temple

THE LULU CHRONICLES

The wind has been blowing so hard out in the country here that I haven’t been able to ride LuLu for a couple of days. So, Rusty, the stationary bike and I have spent some time together. No offense to Rusty, but he’s quite the boring ride, let me tell you. As I’m pedaling to beat the band and going nowhere, I was so tempted to quit. I started having doubts about the effectiveness of what I’m doing with this weight-loss-getting-healthy kick I’m on. Here I am an adult riding a pretend bike and for what?
I’m pedaling. I’m grumbling. I’m waffling. And then it hits me… “…do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body.” I Corinthians 6:19-20   
Ancient words ever true. I had forgotten… again … that I am a walking, talking temple. That in me, lives the Spirit of our most Holy God. For hundreds and hundreds of years the Middle East has been in turmoil fighting over some dusty ground in Jerusalem where the Temple of God once stood. They bicker and fire weapons and act all indignant like children fighting over a favorite toy—unaware that God changed residences a long time ago. He lives in us now. We are the Holy of Holies. His people. His children. His Created.
This body, my body matters. In word and in deed. In sickness and in health. I must watch what comes out of my mouth and how I treat others. I must tend the Temple. Keep it working well. Keep it clean. Keep it healthy.
It gets tougher the older this Temple gets. Like any ‘container’ wear and tear takes its toll. But, I’ve been entrusted with something precious and the expectation is that I will do the best I can.
So… I pedal. I make healthy food choices. I also make other choices on behalf of the Temple that involve prayer, benevolence, compassion, kindness, strength and witness. All of it is hard… but all of it matters.
So… I pedal.
deb

No comments: