Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Independence Day


LuLu and I wish you all a very Happy 4th!
THE LULU CHRONICLES

A couple of days ago, I was pedaling away on LuLu trying to get home before dark when overhead I was greeted with some fireworks. A neighbor was getting in a little early Fourth of July celebrating. That's done out in the country a lot. Not sure if it's legal though. I'm confused on that.

As I enjoyed the pop and flutter of the fireworks, I got to thinking about the way we celebrate our country's independence...

"...  It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty.  It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward for evermore."

When John Adams uttered those words, he had just finished signing the Declaration of Independence. On that glorious day, our young nation started down a path of freedom never experienced before anywhere!   

For generations hence, we have celebrated with gusto. Parades, fireworks, and picnics, what a great day it is. John Adams would be proud.   

Or would he?

You would presume on this anniversary of our deliverance, a prayer of thanksgiving in the town square would be in order, right?  But don't let anyone try it. Public prayer to the God of our forefathers is fast becoming outlawed. Right now, it's just considered unseemly, offensive, and politically incorrect (a term I truly would love to slash from this country's vocabulary), but is there a day coming when all prayer to our God, delivered to His feet by our Savior, Jesus Christ, will be illegal to utter in this country?  

As I parked LuLu in the garage. I stopped and prayed for our nation. There are so many great things about it to be thankful for. I desire to live no where else. Yet, I am frightened by our carelessness and the slow drift that is taking us farther and farther away from what was once the core of who we are.

Independence Day, 2012.  Hide under a picnic table, if you must, but for you and yours, let it be a day of prayer and thanksgiving.

Happy 4th...

deb

No comments: