Monday, March 26, 2012

Happiness is a choice



THE LULU CHRONICLES


"A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes." Hugh Downs, journalist




I think Mr. Downs is on to something. The other day when LuLu and I were pedaling to our rural post office, I got to thinking about happiness and where it comes from. How many times in the past have I thought, "If only those silly ducks would line up right, I'd have it made in the shade?" If the ducks or the circumstances if you will, didn't fall the way I wanted or planned, I would find myself moping around and feeling sorry for myself. I’d want to blame my unhappiness on someone or something else.


However, what I’ve discovered of late is that happiness comes from within. It cannot be artificially created, at least not for any length of time. Happiness is a mindset that sees us through even the most trying of days.


Paul, the tent maker apostle, put it this way a couple of thousand of years ago, "I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want."


A strength that comes from deep within cannot be shook by teeth rattling winds of change or knee high puddles of disappointment. Happiness is willed—a will to be... a will to become... a will to overcome.


I am constantly fighting the impulse to put the burden of my own happiness on someone else. But deep down I know that only I am responsible for my happy heart and that happiness is a choice that only I can make for myself.


And you know what? I choose happy.


See you back here on Thursday,


deb

No comments: