Monday, October 31, 2011

Gotta kick the covers off


PHOTOS: Some of my favorite blues


THE LULU CHRONICLES

LuLu-ism #35: Everything looks better in blue. Flowers. Wall paint. Socks. I can’t think of anything I wouldn’t prefer in the color blue… except maybe … fried chicken.

This morning, LuLu and I ventured out after a week apart. It was good to get back in the saddle, even if I had to drag the cowgirl kicking and screaming. It was cold to be sure, but what got me so excited to be outside was the color of the morning sky.

Those of you who know me well, know that blue is my favorite color. Well, this morning’s sky was a blue I’d never seen before. It was a dark translucent, blue with aqua flecks highlighting it. The deep green, wet grass was an excellent compliment as ground and sky met at the horizon. Breathtaking.

Had I not gotten up early and decided to ride LuLu, I would have missed this wonderful gift of natural color, honey-tasting air, and that sweet feeling of accomplishment that exercise gives you. It was especially sweet because after not exercising for a week, it was soooo tempting to let another day go by without putting the cowgirl in the saddle.

It is so easy to let go of resolve, whether it’s dieting, exercising, or just about anything else that requires gumption, grit and just plain kicking the covers off. I must admit, there days I just plain fail at it. But, I’m discovering that the trick is to not let that one day of giving in, set the standard for the next day. I must shake it off and then get back out there.

That blue sky was something. I wish I could duplicate it, because I’d love to carry a patch of it with me everywhere. I guess I’ll just have to be on watch for it another morning. Which means, well you know what it means. Gotta kick the covers off. Gotta get my cowgirl in the seat. Gotta do it for me.

Wishing you your own blue, fall skies.

deb

No comments: