Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Get your pink on...



THE LULU CHRONICLES

LuLu-ism #37: Go. Pack. Go

Picture if you will, me, LuLu and the Green Bay Packers. Yep, LuLu is a fan of the mighty fine Green and Gold. On our ride this morning (yes, we rode in the rain, and yes, we rode in 40 degrees) we rehashed Sunday’s game. Packers won of course. Our team is now 8-0. I’m trying to get LuLu to understand the significance of that stat, but she’s not all that impressed. However, when I told her that some Packer players have been known to ride an exercise bike on the sidelines during the game, her handlebars perked up. That she’s impressed with.

She wondered if the exercise bikes were pink. I hated to disappoint her, so I diverted her attention to my hat. It was pink, a pink Packer ball cap. When the wife of our former Green Bay Packer quarterback, Who-Shall-Remain-Nameless, introduced the pink caps in support of breast cancer research, I was on board. I bought one for my daughter-in-laws and myself. The pink caps were an ingenious idea. That first Sunday a few years ago when our former quarterback-Who-Shall-Remain-Nameless stood on the sidelines at Lambeau Field during a game wearing his pink ball cap with the big ‘G’ logo emblazoned on the front, the caps sold out in a matter of hours. Millions were raised for cancer research.

As I told that story, LuLu got very giddy and strutted her pink, shiny self, as well as a bicycle can strut.

As many of you know, my sweet hubs has been fighting cancer. He wears an additional color in support of cancer research. His yellow Live Strong bracelet rarely leaves his wrist. He got it from donating money to cancer research.

Pink. Yellow. They’re just colors, but creatively placed, they can be a great reminder that there’s a big, ugly, fierce fight going on to stop a killer, a killer that has taken way too many lives. If you get a chance, put your pink where your mouth is, and your yellow where it counts. Let’s cure cancer in our lifetime… and for the Cleveland family, the sooner the better.

Get your pink on…

deb

No comments: