Tuesday, November 13, 2012

"When I grow up..."


THE LULU CHRONICLES
    
"When I grow up, I want to be a dog!" proclaimed my youngest son when he was just little bitty.  He held on tight to that dream for a very long time.  I was starting to worry that maybe he would marry a poodle or something. 
               
When I was young, I wanted to grow up to be a veterinarian and own Walter Farley’s Arabian black stallion. I didn't come anywhere close. 

Dreams change.

We make decisions along the way that have dictated where we are now.  While some dreams as worth holding on to, others should be allowed to give way to the people we didn't expect to be. 

I am surprised by who I am but not disappointed.  I don't lay awake at night pining away for a lifestyle I do not have.  I've made choices.  Some of the paths I've chosen have been deliberate; others I have eenie-meenie-minie-moed my way through.  Yet, when I look back over the brush I have trampled and the broken branches I have left in my wake, I find that God did not take his eyes off of me once, and I did and have done the best I could do.

I accept who and what I am.  Sure, there are things I want to change, but there's no one else I want to be. 

That son is now 33-years-old, and no, he didn’t grow up to be a dog. But, he does the best monkey imitation I’ve ever seen. And, he wrote this great song about a squirrel once. However…we do have to constantly remind him not to scratch behind his ear with his foot…

Later…
deb

No comments: