Thursday, August 9, 2012

I savor












THE LULU CHRONICLES

I woke up this morning at my usual time planning on a LuLu ride, but it was still dusky dark. “What gives?” I wondered. I pulled the curtain back and… say what? Wet drops falling from the sky? Yes, we use to called this something, now what was it? Oh, yes…rain! It’s a too little too late for the area farmers I’m afraid, but still it was a lovely sight.
Now if I were a better person, I would have donned my biking clothes and took off anyway. “Come Hades or high water, right?” But I’m not. I opted to sit on the back porch with an afghan wrapped around me and with a hot cup of tea. So what’s that make me? A wimp? A cop-out? Lazy?
I choose to think of myself as one who knows when to savor a moment. Our globe is tired and dry. It’s been punished this summer by extreme heat and cracked earth. Our grass is brown. Our flowers have given up the ghost. Our ponds are exposing their muddy bottoms. Then, this morning comes rain, a steady downpour bringing with it cool air and welcome relief.
So, yes, I will savor the moment. I will sit and ponder and give thanks for this morning of new hope and promise. I can almost see the grass greening before my eyes. As I look out over our pond the drops are leaving their fingerprints in glorious ripples. Our one turtle raises its tiny head to greet the gift. The birds have taken cover and call to one another rejoicing. What’s left of my roses open their petals and drink it in.  The raindrops hitting my porch roof play a lovely musical of sorts that only God can perform.
I sit and listen. I close my eyes and give thanks. I sip my tea. “This is the day that the Lord hath made. I will rejoice and be glad in it.”
There is a time to ride and there is a time to sit and savor. This morning… I savor.
Have a great weekend, all.
deb

No comments: