Tuesday, August 28, 2012

LuLu speaks...





THE LULU CHRONICLES

LuLu and I have been contemplating the Republican National Convention. No, really, we have. You may not know this, but in all her pinkness LuLu can be very political. On our morning rides she has been known to wax elegantly about how the world should be run. Okay, she doesn’t actually use words, but somehow she inspires me to use them for her. Must be something about pedaling in the early morning in the fresh air. I don’t know, I just know that when we get back from our bike rides, I’m usually wiser than when I started out. I give my pink bike the credit.

The other morning on our ride the old adage, Too many chiefs and not enough Indians came to mind. I don’t know if that little ditty would even be consider political correct these days, but I do know that it’s still a truism that holds water. LuLu warns that if you really looked at those who lead, and lead well, you will see some things that may make one more content to be a follower instead.

Leaders are not born, they emerge.  Those who turn around and find a pack following them have three things in common: 1) They are the ones who really care.  They are convicted by their hearts, while their commitment is watered by tears and cemented by prayer.  2) They are the ones who stick their necks out and try.  Leading requires risk.  Leading requires sacrifice.  3) They have earned the right to be followed.  They have proven themselves, not by deeds, but by who they are—trustworthy, loyal, and heading the list, selfless. 
           
Leaders do not dominate, they demonstrate.  True leaders are found in the trenches, not the towers.
             
You say you want ditches dug?  Then dig. You say you want to be loved?  Then love.   You say you want to be trusted?  Then trust.  You say you want to lead?  Then follow.
           
True leadership, comes from serving, not from showing off.  If more of us realized that, there'd be far more Indians… and better politicians.

If Hurricane Isaac allows for it the GOP has some business to attend to this week. It is my prayer that many of them have brought their pink bikes to the party.

Later,
deb


2 comments:

listening said...

Lulu is one smart girl - but I hear your heart leading this conversation...another great reflection on the community/world we live in!

The LuLu Chronicles said...

Thank you for your kind words. LuLu and I try.
deb