Thursday, August 30, 2012

I can dream...


THE LULU CHRONICLES
While out on my ride on LuLu this morning, I fantasized about what I wished Mitt Romney would say in his RNC speech tonight. Here goes...
“My fellow Americans, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah … and in closing I’d like to make something perfectly clear. I understand why we have these women watchdog groups. I get it. For centuries the women in this country were treated less than second-rate. It was unconscionable. Ladies, the hard fight you won just to win the right to vote in this country changed us forever. The gritted-teeth battle you forged for equal pay for equal work made David’s battle with Goliath look like a friendly game of marbles. You’re tough. You’re intelligent… and you’re a force to be reckoned with. But, sadly, you’ve thrown the baby out with the bathwater… literally.
“I believe in your right to choose. I do. You have to right to say “no” to sexual intercourse. It’s your body. Treat it as treasure. You have the right to choose when or if you get pregnant. You have the right to choose what happens to your body from medicines to piercing. But what you don’t have the right to do, what no one in this country has the right to do, is to kill the innocent. Nothing justifies that… nothing, not inconvenience, not bad timing, not passionate misjudgments.  Once you’ve chosen to bed your partner without protection and it results in the creation of a child living within you, by your very actions you have chosen … life.  And, it can’t be taken back.
“Now let me make myself clear:  If by some horrible evil you have been raped by the lowest that mankind has to offer, know that my heart goes out to you. And if that violent act results in pregnancy (and yes, it can and does happen), know that I will love you, care for you and fight for you, and I will pray daily for your healing both physical and emotional. But you still have choices here. Either give birth and mother this innocent child with the most powerful of loves, or give the greatest of gifts, the most sacrificial of gifts, the most loving of gifts to a couple who have been waiting with open arm for a chance to love a child of their own.
 “Please hear me, what I will not do is support you in the condemnation of that innocent life.  What I will do is fight to make sure that our laws have teeth enough to condemn the evil that violated you. That bastard (remember this is Mitt’s speech, not mine) will rot in the darkest hole we can throw him in. There will be no parole, no good behavior rewards.
“Lastly, if your life comes down to the unthinkable, where you are forced by critical, threatening health to have to chose between your own life or your unborn child’s, I promise you that your government will back out of your hospital room. We are many things, but Solomon we are not. This nightmarish decision is too painful for words and it will be a decision that should be yours and yours alone. My prayers will be that our God will hold your hand and give you wisdom and comfort at such a time as this.
“And so my fellow Americans, blah, blah, blah, blah, and God bless America!”
Well, I can dream can’t I? I can hope that someone will finally say what they mean and mean what they say and not be slaughtered in the media because of it. I can dream …
Later,
Deb

No comments: