Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Mind. Body. Spirit.


THE LULU CHRONICLES

As you know, I’ve been on a journey to better health. I haven’t lost a ton of weight yet, but I’ve grown more flexible, grown leaner and have created some lasting good healthy habits for myself… riding my pink bike, LuLu has been one of those.

A new habit I’m getting into is Tony Horton’s 10-Minute Trainer. If you’re into sweat and torture, Tony’s your man. In just ten minutes a day I’ve learned to contort my body in ways I didn’t know was possible. Of course, I’ve had to improvise a bit because while Tony is jumping off the ground with jumping jacks and other such foolishness on my DVD, my feet haven’t left the ground in over two decades… and they have no plans to.

I love life. I love living life. I want to live life for a long time to come. But, the fact is, if I don’t treat my body as if it truly matters to me, my life will be shorter than I want it to be.  And that’s true of all of us. Our bodies can only take so much abuse. They can only take so much chocolate and caffeine.  Sugar, although lovely in all forms, turns on us after a while.

I’ve had sixty-one years of fun and love. Is it wrong to want, oh, sixty-one more? Well, it maybe stretching to think of myself as a 122-year-old woman, but I wouldn’t mind a hundred… if I can still do a few of Tony Horton’s moves.

Of course, to live life to its fullest, good health is only part of the equation. A healthy mind and healthy spirit is just as important… maybe more so. My mind, I’m working on keeping it clear and functioning reasonably well. I read. I write. I think. Got to keep the cobwebs out of the belfry as they say.  But my spirit… that’s a tough one.

Spirit. If you think it’s hard to do a jumping jack at my age and with my knees, just think how tough it is to keep a positive spirit amidst cancer and Alzheimer’s. No, I don’t have those things, but people I love do. Worrying about them takes it’s toll on my spirit. Yeah, Christian’s are told not to worry, but fact is, we do. We may call it ‘being concerned’ or having something ‘heavy on our hearts’, but it’s worry, it’s fear, it’s sadness and it’s hard.

So, what to do? I ride LuLu. I keep my physical health up. I keep writing and reading and thinking and … I pray. Prayer is food for the spirit. Prayer gives hope. Prayer is petitioning the power of heaven down to earth. It is conversation with the One who made me. As He listens, my spirit soars. As I listen, my spirit heals.

It’s all connected, folks. Body Mind. Spirit. We are spiritual beings housed in a physical body.  All need to be fed and cared for.

Later,
deb


No comments: