Tuesday, January 1, 2013

... that passes understanding...


THE LULU CHRONICLES

My pink bike, Lulu, is about many things. She was a birthday present on my 60th birthday in 2011, and since then she has been my partner in my quest to healthy myself up. What has surprised me about her is how my time spent saddled up and peddling down the road with her has brought me not only better physical health, but spiritual and emotional health as well. The quiet time with her riding up and down the countryside has taught me what is truly important. Of course, I've known it all along, but the good pink bike helped me clarify somethings that sometimes get muddled and lost as we fill our days with busyness and self-importance.

It is people. Specifically, it is family that makes our worlds spin in sync. And what's crazy about that is that this all important family, for the most part, is chosen for us by a Divine Hand. Not too many of us get to choose our parents or siblings. Placed in the womb, we meet who we got when we draw our first breathe... and there it is. Family.

Well, from my first breathe, I was in for a ride. Greeted by young parents who didn't have a clue and an older brother who wasn't so sure I was such a good idea, I began my journey....
Sixty-one years later, the journey still continues. The pace picked up. I had one choice of my own, and I picked Gary. Best choice ever. Together, we brought three, yelping, jumping, amazing boys to the mix, who in turn brought beautiful wives and exceptional children of their own.

 On my brother's end, he did the same, and our family grew even more. Brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces, uncles, aunts, grandchildren, in-laws, great-grandparents, grandparents... they came and we tagged them.





We fuss. We moan. We get disappointed (because it turns out, we're all only human). Yet, we continue to love, to run to, to support, to hide in arms, to pat backs, to shake fists at.
Yet, we remain family. Through both shadows and bright daylight we still reach out to each other. We embrace and wring out all the good that is there. Children. Laughter. Hugs. Everything's unconditional. We make rules that get broken, yet we still love and are loved.
We stumble....
... we keep adding to our number...
We are made to laugh by such innocence...
...We are gifted time and time again by such beauty and tiny arms....

The oldest welcome the newest...
... We keep chosing our one... Welcome, Dave!
... family grows.
... hearts expand...
...silliness still trumps on given days...
...Great-grandmothers never run out of blessings....
Mommie's never grow weary... well, they do, but they don't let that stop them....
Daugther-in-laws continue to surprise...
...granddaughters continue to take my breath away.
Sister-in-law continues to make me laugh...
Wisdom and love keep coming at us at a feverish pitch...

Cousins teach us...
Sons turn into uncles...
...Grandsons turn into Super Heroes...


Fathers keep blessing sons...

The children keep leading us to our better selves...








.... most of the time.









And so... family continues. We gather. We cling. We shake our fists. We touch cheeks. We mix our tears. We celebrate the joys. We hang on tight against the unknowns yet to come. But...


.... come what may, we remain family.

My friends, you don't need a pink bike to teach you all of this. Just look up. Look around. Embrace the imperfection. Fall on your knees at this Divine gift... and this year, this 2013, leave no words of love unspoken...

Happy New Year.

No comments: